This week the Minnesota Twins announced one of the most important partnerships in the history of the franchise. As we all know, food and beverage as well as merchandise operations, are critical aspects of the overall game day experience. To that end, the team was thrilled to announce a new long-term partnership with Delaware North Companies Sportservice to serve as the exclusive concessionaire for the new downtown Minneapolis ballpark.
Understanding that no fewer than eight national firms expressed interest in this business, keys to the Twins decision to partner with DNC Sportservice were as follows:
- Family Ownership – The Jacobs family, which has operated Sportservice since 1915, has cultivated a business philosophy and culture within DNC quite similar to the Pohlad family operations. Beyond the concessions business, the Jacobs family owns the NHL’s Boston Bruins and operates Beantown’s TD North Bank Garden.
- Midwest Focus – DNC Sportservice has established an impressive resume of Midwest teams as clients – including the Chicago White Sox, Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds and Milwaukee Brewers. That Midwest focus isn’t new as Sportservice was the concessionaire at Minneapolis’ Nicollet Park (for the Minneapolis Millers) and St. Paul’s Lexington Park (for the original St. Paul Saints).
- Quality – Sportservice overall ability to deliver a quality food/beverage operation stood out from the field. Among the joint objectives for Sportservice and the Twins is a blend of local fares within the ballpark as well as the development of “signature” food items.
- Service – DNC Sportservice is committed to providing a high level of customer service – highlighted by the company’s market leading GuestPath benchmarking program.
- Community – DNC Sportservice will soon become a major employer within the Twin Cities with 1,000 to 1,200 people working on a Twins game day. In addition, the company is committed to maintaining the role of volunteer groups working designated concession stands – helping raise thousands of dollars for Upper Midwest charities.
- Innovation – DNC Sportservice is among the leaders in concessions technology including the push toward touch screen kiosks, loaded tickets, etc.
- Sustainable Operations – Understanding the Twins focus on sustainable design and operations of the new facility, the team is quite intrigued by the Sportservice program known as GreenPath.
- People – In a word, the DNC Sportservice is PASSIONATE about the opportunity partner with the Minnesota Twins and establish a stronger presence within the Upper Midwest.
The Twins are thrilled to have DNC Sportservice as a partner and feel strongly that they were the right choice for fans across Twins Territory. It’s a critical partnership for the team and our fans as few relationships – if any – will have a more direct impact on the overall game day experience. Welcome aboard Sportservice!!!!
Dave St. Peter
President, Minnesota Twins