With so much focus on the building’s exterior, seat installation and the playing field, very little has been written or said regarding Target Field’s anticipated food and beverage offerings. Fans will be pleased to know that the Twins and Sportservice are working overtime to finalize build out of clubs, restaurants, concession stands and portables; round out menus; and develop strategic partnerships with Minnesota-based branded food partners. Those partnerships will undoubtedly involve some of Target Field’s signature food items which will be announced in the weeks to come. Meanwhile, work is complete on the equipment installation and base theming for the general concession stands across the ballpark. I’m hopeful that fans will appreciate and connect with the local and/or Twinscentric concession stand themes which are detailed below:
· Taste of Twins Territory
o The ballpark’s general concession stand serving all the basics – hot dogs, peanuts, nachos, etc.
· Hennepin Grille
o Burgers and chicken sandwiches are the stars of these stands.
· Mill City Grill
o Don’t be surprised if a steak sandwich headlines these locations.
· Halsey’s Sausage Haus
o A tribute to the legendary Halsey Hall, these stands will feature the best in brats, dogs and sausages.
· Senor Smokes
o A tip of the cap to Mr. Berenguer, these stands will feature a south of the border menu including nachos, tacos, burritos.
· Frankie V’s Italian
o A salute to 1987 World Series MVP Frank Viola, multiple varieties of pizza will dominate these stands.
· State Fair Classics
o Certain to be a fan favorite with everything on a stick.
· North Shore Creamery
o Building on the popularity of ice cream at the Dome, these stands will offer fans a wide variety of ice cream treats.
Target Field Notes:
This week the Twins will announce a third Founding Partner for Target Field joining U.S. Bank and Treasure Island … Work on Target Field Station nears completion as the prep continues for the launch of the Northstar commuter rail line and the extended Hiawatha line in mid-November …Look for Target Field to play an important role in the grand finale of the special on-field ceremony following the Twins final regular season home game at the Metrodome.
Fans following the progress of Target Field have certainly noticed that Target Plaza – the gateway to Minnesota’s new ballpark – is nearing completion. Designed to be the ballpark’s front door, this dynamic public gathering space has the potential to be something special for the North Loop neighborhood, the City of Minneapolis and the region. Over the next 30-90 days Mortenson and company will continue landscape architecture while also working hard to put the finishing touches in place. Fans should look for the following:
· The Golden Glove – The large bronze glove located near Gate 34 has been sculpted, poured and is nearing completion. Jerry Bell and I had the opportunity to check out the Golden Glove last week at a foundry in Howard Lake, MN. The 1,500-pound sculpture is a perfect rendition of an old-school baseball glove. In addition, the team is planning to place a plaque honoring every Gold Glove winner in Twins history at the base of the sculpture. The Golden Glove will be installed on Target Plaza sometime in October.
· Legendary Player Sculptures - Work is well underway on sculptures of National Baseball Hall of Famers Harmon Killebrew, Rod Carew and Kirby Puckett. Plans still call for installation of the three sculptures on or around Opening Day of 2010.
· Tradition Wall – The fan recognition wall sold out last week is now in full production. Fans should expect the eight (8) glass panels featuring the names of 2,400 fans — along with pennants devoted to each and every Twins team since 1961 — to be in place sometime in November.
· Wind Veil – The work of nationally renowned artist Ned Kahn, the wind veil is now in production. The piece will be titled “The Wave” and should be installed in December of this year.
· Minnesota Ballpark History - Thanks to funding provided by the Minnesota Ballpark Authority, the team is currently working to design a special glass wall tribute to the history of Minnesota’s ballparks. Located within the 7th street planter, the ballpark history marker will be in place sometime in early 2010.
· Twins Hall of Fame - The team continues to work with project designers on a number of options on Target Plaza aimed at commemorating the Twins Hall of Fame.
TARGET FIELD NOTES:
Beginning this week, construction trailers will be removed from the south parking lot as Mortenson, Populous and various contractors move their project headquarters to the Ford Centre … The Twins will soon shoot a pair of television commercials at Target Field to promote the 2010 season. Participating players will include Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Denard Span and Joe Nathan.
Dave St. Peter
President, Minnesota Twins